Who are we?
NISO is an organization that promotes the development of healthier and stronger communities by empowering individuals and meeting the needs where they are..
At the core of NISO is the use of the PROMOTORES model. This model has been used by different organizations, including Vision y Compromiso. We are following their model but customizing it to meet our needs.
What is the Promotores model?
Promotores are community members who act as natural helpers and liaisons to meaningful information and resources for their neighbors and neighborhoods.
Promotores are liaisons between their communities and social service providers. Because they share the same language, culture, ethnicity, status and experiences of their communities, Promotores are able to reduce the common barriers to services for native-born and immigrant communities. The results are better opportunities for more individuals, families and communities. Promotores build and maintain relationships of trust and respect within their communities, and understand the reality of how people live and the obstacles that keep them from success. Promotores work to improve conditions so that their children, and all children, will be healthy, better educated and productive citizens.
The Ten Primary Characteristics and Values of Promotores.
- Promotores create and cultivate egalitarian relationships based on mutual trust understanding and respect.
- Promotores are committed to sharing information and resources.
- Promotores approach the community with empathy, love and compassion.
- Promotores are accessible and trusted members of the community where they live.
- Promotores share similar life experiences as the community.
- Promotores have a profound desire to serve the community.
- Promotores communicate in the language of the people and are knowledgeable about the community's cultural traditions.
- Promotores are a two-way bridge connecting the community to resources and ensuring that institutions respond to community needs.
- Promotores are natural advocates who are committed to social justice.
- Promotores are effective role models for community change.
Meet the Advisory Committee
NISO is supported by a diverse set of community leaders who are donating their time to help shape the mission, vision and values of the NISO promotores program.
From left to right: Henry Amaya, Mercedes Cordova-Hakim Ana Gloria Lino, Alma Gonzalez, Analia Bravo, Carlos Willcuts, Rosy Mendoza, Judith Mercado, Victor R. Londoño